The ambition of RECREATE project is to develop and validate in relevant environment (TRL6) novel reuse strategies for current generation, large EoL composite parts (including complex multimaterial composites) based on smart recognition and inspection for sorting (Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy – LIBS), high precision dismantling (laser-shock) and repair, T-assisted reshaping, design for disassembly based on reversible joints, AI-assisted decision support systems;
Furthermore, we wish to develop and validate in relevant environment (TRL6) innovative physico-chemical upcycling technologies (catalyst-assisted green solvolysis, electrofragmentation) allowing simultaneous recovery of high quality, integer, clean fibers and of an organic resin fraction reusable as coating material, at the very end of the multiple reuse processes of parts;
Our goal is to demonstrate at TRL6 the use of smart and green reversible thermoset resins as enabling materials for the realization of the next generation of fiber-reinforced composites (FRCs) with easier repairability and enhanced reusability, facilitating the transition towards recyclable-by-design composite materials and structures.
Moreover, RECREATE will address another key objective, that is the development of a set of new digital tools for:
- The quantitative evaluation of the environmental and economic performance of the proposed technologies (LCA/LCC) as well as their circularity assessment;
- The co-design of innovative digital learning resources, including the realization of MOOCS, serious games and digital twins of some specialty technologies developed in the project, with easy adoption and high replicability.
New products that will be offered at value-chain level:
- Added-value, customized products re-using fibers and resins.
- FRP components modular design, reman., repair, reforming, and re-use
- New sustainable-by-design composite materials with enhanced functionalities
New software that will be developed:
- Circular Economy digital platform for supporting the adoption of products re-using materials and components
- Digitalisation of knowledge about new materials, products and innovative processes for composite re-use for training tools and gamification.